Team Wheat

Team Wheat

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Financial Aid Frustrations

I have a 4.0 GPA. I have received numerous creative writing awards through PJC. I was named the Outstanding English Student for 2009.

I don't say all that to brag (well, maybe just a little...) but to help explain why I am so flabbergasted by the situation in which I find myself.

I have enrolled at Texas A&M-Commerce for the fall semester. I am planning on taking 15 hours. I have been denied financial aid.

20 years ago, in order to be exempt from the new TASP test that was required to graduate from college, I signed up for three hours at ETSU. I didn't do so well in that class, but I excelled at college life. I learned all about the Zeppa Center, the MSC, Lil' Bit, The Junction, and of course the KA house, the Sigma Chi house, Hubble Hall, Hidden Lake...well, you get the picture.

Even though academically I was, um...let's just say "struggling", I continued to take classes so that I could hang out with my friends. I ended up with 36 hours attempted on my transcript before I realized that I wasn't cut out to be a student. I dropped out of college and joined the workforce, married the greatest man in the world, gave birth to three amazing children, and finally admitted to myself that I REALLY wanted that college degree I had blown off all those years ago.

When I enrolled at PJC my GPA was so low that I was denied financial aid, so I started out with just a couple of classes, and raised my grades. When I transferred to TAMU-C, in order to keep my 4.0, I decided to sign up for the "Fresh Start" program. This allows you to drop all of your old credits, and well, start fresh. What they don't tell you is that this does not benefit you at all when it comes to financial aid, or your max hours.

So...I have been denied financial aid because I have attempted too many hours and have nothing to show for it. Except for an Associate of Arts degree and a 4.0 GPA. I have filed an appeal, and now must wait, possibly until midway through the fall semester for a decision from the Appeals Committee. This, of course, means that I will have to pay for my tuition out-of-pocket.

Anyone have an extra $3500 just burning a hole in your pocket? LOL

In the mean time, I intend to simply enjoy the summer, enjoy my family, and color my hair frequently, because this stress is gray-ing it by the minute!!

No comments: